Saturday, July 17, 2010

Ahhh the Joys of Potty Training

So a friend of mine referred me to this online book about potty training your child in 3 days... It is written by a woman who has 5 boys, 1 of which has a communication disability. My friend that tried it has a little girl and she said it worked great for her. I was a little hesitant to try it because I have heard that girls are much easier to potty train than boys, but I figured, If the author has only boys, and two other friends that tried it have boys, then it must be worth a try. 

The first day was, needless to say, INSANE, full of accidents, pee and POOP. 

The second day was also full of pee accidents, but he did pee in the potty ONE time and he did NOT poop at all that day.

Today is the third day and I am happy to say that he has NOT had any accidents since yesterday. He has worn the same, clean and DRY unders for 15 hours and counting! He still does not Verbalize that he needs to go, but I have gotten good at catching the signs BEFORE he starts in his unders! So far today the has pee'd 2 times AND excited to say that he has also POOP'd in the potty! What a difference clean up is when you don't have a mountain of poop to clean up.

Ahhh yes, Mountain of poop... that is really what i want to write about today...  

It has been quite a journey... definately not nearly as BAD as I was expecting.... so for that, I am thankful.

However, I would like to share my DAY 1 experience on POOP.... He had an accident and poop'd in his under..... I walked him to the potty, told him THIS is where poop goes.... I began to remove the poop FILLED under so I could DUMP the poo into the toilet and say "Poo poo in the potty", flush it and move on.... Sounds simple enough right? Well, it was a GIANT mountain of SOFT MUSHY poop.... so when I very gracefully turned the under upside down to toss the poop into the toilet... it SLIPPED OUT of the under and PLOPPED right onto the floor.... I do not consider myself a queezy person... My stomach can take a lot... however THIS.... this was not good! 

There I was trying to contain my nausea, hold onto my crying toddlers arm with one hand as to keep his poop covered booty from rubbing against the sink or wall or sitting on the FLOOR during his tantrum... while with the other hand I attempted to pick up the total Gross-ness with non other than the teeny tiny flushable wipes....as nothing else was within my reach.....

I was literally on the VERGE OF TEARS from the frustration... luckily I am quick to recover and found myself  laughing hysterically all by my lonesome once the junk was all cleaned up!

Needless to say, I am now ARMED w/ All Purpose 409 & heavy duty Paper towels just in case this ever happens again! :)

Anywho, other than that horrible poop accident, it has really not been a bad experience. I am exhausted from being a STALKER mom watching his every move, and so sick of repeating myself... "Tell mommy if you have to go pee or poo"(but in spanish... and said every 2-5 minutes)

As you can see from the picture, He LOVES his big boy unders. He is quite comfortable and contented. I have heard that some children have a hard time changing to unders and cry for the diaper. However, Thankfully, Izaac was quite happy to toss the dipes and wear his ultra cool "tighty whities" :)

Actually, He gets very upset when he is done "going" and I do not immediately put them back on lol

2 comments:

  1. Way to go!!! I am glad that it is going so great...minus the poop tragedy lol ;-)

    ReplyDelete